Saturday, July 28, 2012

Oh-My-Africa

Somehow my first Sunday morning in Kona. Waste deep in the warm, turquoise waters of Hapuna Beach. I found myself talking about Africa with my wonderful friend, Taren. About how I had no desire to go there. "Don't say that," she jestfully warned me. Assuring me that a statement like that would surely get me what I didn't want. As many before had utter similar phrases and found themselves in places, even nations they dreaded in their heart. Looking back on that it really is quite funny.

That next week a video was played, revealing the AWAKEN DTS' Outreach Locations names. For some, it fanned flames on places that were already burning in their hearts. For others, it failed to light to the altars they'd built. Then there were those of us caught in between. And I refused to go any further than what I felt God was presently revealing. That has been my journey with this whole YWAM thing all along. Current and relevant information is all that I want. So, I didn't wonder about locations before that day. Unnecessary. When I needed to know I would know. Today was that day.I saw was the word Cambodia, almost in 3D, hovering in front of the screen. Which took me back to the ocean. To Taren laughing at my naivety. I thought with an nervous certainty, "That's Africa." Names of these countries continued to appear. No intense passion or fear arose for any of them. Yet, I needed two to write down. Then it was announced that we could leave our slips of paper blank and have the staff pray about where to place us. That gave me a sense of peace. These men and women have been praying since before we set foot in this place, clearly their prayers are effective because we are here.

Funny thing, I sat there questioning my heart and petitioning God on what else I should put down. I felt like Mozambique was highlighted. India too. As I walked over to the world map, to find Cambodia. I mysteriously got it in my head that it was in Africa. So when I couldn't find it and was kindly directed to Asia, it was sweet relief, amusement and confusion. I decided to put both Mozambique (which is actually in Africa haha ) and India in my second slot for the staff to prayerfully consider.

Throughout the next week we waited for teams to be situated and revealed. I realize now all the hints God gave me. Thursday Night Gathering, we sat on this giant map of the world and listened to the speaker and afterwards we walked around on it interceding for the nations. I started in Russia, but at the end I was standing in front of Cambodia. The only other person next to me praying was one of the staff, Sarah. I fervantly tried to stay focused. The next day, I was eating lunch and my new friend Jon (who is a friend of our school) told me he woke up that morning with a need to pray for Cambodia. A lecturer and a worship leader seperately mentioned it as well. I reasoned it was nothing, because Mozambique had come up once or twice as well.

The day of reveal, I woke up thinking, "It would be weird if Taren was my one-on-one" (we have mentoring sessions with one of our team leaders for the rest of school and on outreach). But then quickly chose to wonder what location she'd probably be going apart from me. Monday Mystery Fun Night arrives and we all gather to our classrom, antsy and excited. Our staff and leaders have been going nuts for a while, blaring music, dancing, and shouting in anticipation themselves. There are sheets hanging on the stage, but before we could see what they concealed we are sent away to different parts of the campus. Girls seperated from guys. We are handed white evelopes with other girls names on them that we have to deliver. I finally receive mine and pull out a red and blue flag with a white castle on it. Assuming it is Cambodia, I search for other girls with my flag. The four of us find each other and follow the instructions on the back of our flag to the tree house where we meet our two male teammates. Next, we get all decked out in the colors represented on our flags and head back to the classroom where one by one each location's team was announced. Haha! Then we had a hot, sweaty mess of a dance party!

L-R: Sarah, Me, Lotte, Margaret, Taren, Alexandra, Jesse, Matt P. & Matt S.
I wish I could accurately describe how it felt to let myself go there and be excited. To remember all the little ways God HAD been speaking to me. To paint the picture of hope I finally had. I wish you could have seen my face when our leaders for burst out from behind those hanging sheets with face paints and war cries! When I saw my friend and it dawned on me how good my God is. He gave me a good gift, beyond what I was willing to ask or imagine up until the moments just before. I was going to Cambodia. I was going with Taren. And Sarah (who kind of gave herself away by adding me on Facebook the night before). And Matt Scap (who I introduced on this blog). God works in mysterious ways. Wow. We are going to Cambodia!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment