Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Revelation & Repentance


Last Tuesday, I had a revelation. That's what you're supposed to call it right? And of all places, it happened in the prayer room during my school's 1-3pm set. Nothing super strange about that. Except, that it was the first time that I REALLY did not want to be there. I was seriously contemplating every two minutes just walking out. I wasn't feeling it. I knew I wasn't giving God my all. The previous four days had been spent walking around with irritated, watery eyes from infected contacts. Without glasses, my compacity to see and focus had become pretty painful waiting for my eyes to heal up on their own. Adding to my optical issues, the beautiful mild Hawaiian temperature decided to drop one night and take my immune system with it. So, I was in prayer room half-blind, snotty, with obstructed breathing and a righteous headache. Sounds dramatic right? I was. I was ready to take my irritated body, distracted mind, and offended spirit right out of that god saturated room.

Instead, worship ended and intercession started and I ended up with a piece of red tape over my mouth with the letters L-I-F-E on it. For 10 minutes. Asking Jesus what this Life Tape was all about. Yea I heard our leaders Kaylea and Dave, explain the movement and the significance of standing in silent prayer on behalf of the voiceless. But I didn't want to pray about abortion again (we did that briefly the week before). And I didn't know how Jesus was going to make it personal to me. 10 minutes of silent praying. Submission. It's not always fun, but it's necessary. "Jesus, I want you to download your heart to me for this... but how am I supposed to breathe with tape over my mouth!"Envision tape over a child's mouth. A mode of breathing is cut off. Yes, they can't speak, but they're still living,growing in a mother's womb. Now, envision blockages beginning to form and constrict their nasal passages, too. Those blockages are your apathy. Those blockages are your wrong-thinking.

I learned in a very real way, that as followers of Jesus, our definintion of what it means to fight for life has to change. When we fight with anything other than the weapon of God's reality, we are destined to fail. The reality of God is love. We are to war with love, not worldly reason or ungodly anger. And when we determine not to fight, our silence suffocates as well. However, our definition of life has to change first. For 'abortion' to cease being a concept with no true reality attached. For it to no longer be an alternate reality that we accept and endure. Abortion has to be a baby. Actually, it has to be more than a baby, because apparently that doesn't work. Abortion must go from a baby to a fully developed child. And for that child to  grow into an adult. It must become a shining star* that a 'choice' could willing rip from our universe. In fact, 50,000 of our bright lights are snuffed out every year. Our definition should see that number as a whole nation annually sinking into the depths of the sea. And that nation as ours.

That's what Jesus told me. In 10 minutes. And then he said, see you were breathing.



* "Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life, then, on the day of Christ's return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless."- Philippians 2:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment